Monday, July 18, 2016

Sir Paul




Three days before "Yesterday" my wife and I went to Fenway Park not to see  the Red Sox but Sir Paul McCartney and band. 

I took a break from politics, despair, and disillusionment.  Those are my problems.

The election is however a problem shared by America and Bernie Sanders supporters in particular.  I have not been able to free my mind from this political conundrum for 15 months.  It truly has been a hell of a roller coaster ride.

That is where Sir Paul comes in.  He and his band played for three hours straight without a break.  Paul played bass, guitar and piano.  He performed some post fab four material.  He also performed a generous number of Beatles tunes.  My poor voice is hoarse from singing, I know every word of each Beatles song.  The performance and quality of music are exactly what one would expect from Paul McCartney.

This was the biggest musical event in my life since Woodstock some 47 years ago.  Sir Paul looks like he is in his forties and sings like a “Black Bird.”  His tireless energy reminded me of the driving force that is Bernie.  There were pyrotechnics, lasers, fireworks and lots of smoke.  Two giant screens revealed Paul and band members clearly for those like ourselves who were not close to the stage.  The acoustics were amazing, the sound really opened up where we were sitting in the grandstand.  It was the first time I ever saw a Beatle in person. 

The point here is that for three hours I took a vacation from my troubles and what a relief it was.  Sure the tickets were expensive, the ride was long, and the lines were even longer.  But it was totally worth it.

Listen to music, a live concert if possible.  Music can be more powerful than our constant mundane political battles.  It is so easy to become caught up in the arguing. Becoming immersed in Paul’s music blew away the politics.

The lesson, if there is one, is that there is great beauty in this world if we decide to seek and enjoy it.  I knew I needed something powerful enough to lift me out of my slump and inspire me in the most effective and amazing way.

Please smell the roses and listen to the music.  Sir Paul took me to a beautiful place and I will remember that concert long after elections are over.

Politics is important to me to be sure, but seeking out and savoring the rich and wonderful music lifted me to a cosmic place.  Often politics draws me into a comedic black hole, a singularity from which there is no escape.

I’d rather be cosmic than comic.

















No comments:

Post a Comment